- Jupiter is the fourth brightest object in the sky (after the Sun, the Moon and Venus).
- Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system.
- Jupiter is big enough to fit 1000 Earths inside it.
- Its diameter is 88,846 miles (142,984 km), more than 11 times that of Earth.
- Jupiter's moon, Ganymede, is the biggest moon in the Solar System.
- Jupiter has over 60 known moons.
- If Jupiter had been 80 times more massive nuclear fusion would have occurred in its core. Thus Jupiter would have become a star rather than a planet.
- Jupiter's red spot is a giant storm which has raged for hundreds of years.
- Jupiter's age is about the same age as the Sun's: 4.5 billion years.
- Jupiter has the strongest gravitational field in the entire solar system. Almost ¾ of the planetary matter found in this solar system are located within Jupiter’s field.
- Auroral lights that are similar to the northern lights experienced on Earth can be seen emitting from Jupiter’s polar regions.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Posted by Roberta at 1:04 PM